A little more progress this morning on Fasteroids. One of the things I wasn't sure of was whether irandom(1) was evaluating properly. I discovered it was evaluating properly, what wasn't working was the UFO coming in from the right and moving to the left. I still haven't figured out why this isn't happening, but I figured out the evaluation by inserting a room_goto(room_howtoplay) to re-direct the right to left movement so that it just jumps to the game instructions room.
I'd hoped by now to be a lot further along than I am in the development of Fasteroids. At this point I'm stuck solving some issues surrounding the UFOs that spawn in Fasteroids. I also wasn't particularly pleased with how the UFO looked. I modelled the original UFO after a print I saw, the print looked neat, but my implementation of it just didn't look right to me. I came up with a new sprite for the UFO (pictured below). It's also the first time I've used one of the new tools I bought, the Aseprite sprite creator.
Lately I've been feeling the need to upgrade the boot SSD in my home workstation. The SSD in question, an 120GB Samsung SSD 750, has been a great drive, but it's simply become too small for my needs. I've switched things up the past few years. My workstation's current disk configuration is as follows:
Since revising the web site I haven't been posting very frequently about Fasteroids. This post is just to let everyone know that I am working on Fasteroids. Much of what I've been working on is fixing little issues, but I also have a few "features" on tap for the future. To start with Fasteroids now has the beginnings of an enemy UFO (see screenshot). This is just the start. For the moment I'm just spawing the UFO at certain intervals. The UFO spawns at a random Y axis location but spawns either on the right or left and streams across the screen.
Recently someone dropped off a laptop for assessment. The laptop powered on, but couldn't boot from the hard drive. We booted to a Linux live environment and ran Gsmartcontrol. GSmartcontrol showed the drive had unrecoverable errors. When we mentioned that the drive was failing the person asked if it might be possible to recover data.
One of the jobs I've wanted to work on for awhile is to convert the Point-Of-Sale (POS) we use at work over to PHP7 and to make it available to the open source community.
Despite the fact that I've written a few BBS door games (using a Synchronet developed language), a text adventure (using AGT), a racing game for the Commodore 64 (I don't even remember what language I used, but it was probably basic), some RPG tools for gamers (using Tcl/Tk), and most recently an Asteroids-like game (using Game Maker Studio 1.4), I don't consider myself a programmer.
Yesterday I mentioned that over the past couple of days I've been working on reinstalling GameMaker Studio (both 1.4.x and 2.x) on my laptop. This evening I spent some time fixing some issues with the latest version of Fasteroids. Here's some of what I managed to do (after working a full day at CR):
The past two days I've been setting up my laptop so I can work on Fasteroids and other games. I originally bought GameMaker Studio 1.4 on a Humble Bundle. A couple of months ago I bought a license for GameMaker Studio 2.x. Version 1.x is being retired at the end of July 2018 (barely a month away). I was thinking of forgetting trying to develop Fasteroids on GMS 1.4 and just learning 2.x. The code I wrote on GMS 1.4 doesn't work in 2.x, enough has changed that I'd have to redo a lot of Fasteroids if I decide to move to 2.x.